Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A word about words

Many English words have changed in meaning and usage over the years and some of these changes have not necessarily been for the better.

Lets take the word hero for instance. In the past this word was used for a person that committed a courageous act of bravery sometimes at the cost of his or her own life. It was a word used for very special acts of bravery. A soldier that fights off a platoon of the enemy single handedly to save a friend, or a person that dives in front of a bus to rescue a child, these are heroes. There is no such thing as a sports hero; there is no bravery in playing a game. Children play games all the time. A person that suffers a terrible injury or disease and struggles through it is not a hero because it was not something they chose to endure. This person is admirable to endure pain and suffering with a stoic attitude but not a hero.

The word hero should be returned to its proper meaning and use. To use this word flippantly and too often detracts from the real heroes and lessens the importance of what they do or have done. There have been men in WWII who saved the lives of many fellow soldiers and ending their life while doing it.

Michael Jordan was a fantastic basketball player and I have heard him called a hero. Am I to believe a person is a hero because he is talented at playing a game? I’m sorry but that is plain stupid. I have heard Christopher Reeve called a hero. This man was thrown from a horse and was crippled because of it. He endured pain and suffering and carried on bravely but I do not believe this can be compared to a single man that earned the Congressional Medal of Honor. Search the list of those that received this honor and see what it takes to be a real hero.

Of course the greatest hero of all time is Christ Jesus.

While I’m at it there are a few other words that I believe are misused today. One is idol, this word used to mean something people worship. I hope and pray no one is truly worshiping a rock star or movie actor or sports star. Another word is gay; this should mean happy, cheerful, delighting in life not a homosexual or lesbian. The word gay should not be used to make a sinful act sound like a natural and innocent thing. No, I’m not homophobic, I love the sinner but hate the sin and yes I hate the sin of adultery and lying and murder too so I’m not prejudiced. By the way, homophobic is a word used to attempt to put down anyone that does not agree with homosexual acts, it is a defense and an attack on those with differing views and nothing that is natural needs defending. Another word I have heard used in this vein is intolerant. Yes I’m intolerant about some things, like my view on adultery and lying, but those that scream that I’m intolerant because I believe homosexuality is a sin are intolerant of allowing others to have their own point of view so this word does not work for a defense either. It just makes those that use it seem hypocritical.